We’re looking for two candidates to join us! If you have a background in communications, a deep interest in media representation and film, and are looking to be involved with an organization that fosters diversity and inclusion, take a look at the job descriptions and send us your application!
Social Media Marketing Intern
Are you passionate about storytelling and have a keen eye and knack for using Instagram Stories? Are you picky about the aesthetic of your Instagram feed? Do you live tweet every episode of #UndergroundWGN, #QueenSugar, etc? Are you one of the first of your friends to try out new social media features and create funny, shareable content?
We’re looking for a social media intern with an exceptional eye for visual content and a great sense of storytelling. You will work with our Marketing Manager to deliver daily, engaging and entertaining content across BlackStar’s social media channels, as well as provide social media support during live events for this year’s festival. The internship will start July 17th and run through August 30th.
Working knowledge of: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
Excellent writing and communication skills
Photography and videography capabilities
Graphic design skills would be a bonus
1+ year experience in social media/marketing
Responsible, creative, capable of meeting deadlines
To apply please respond and provide the following in your cover letter:
2 writing samples
3 examples of professional brand social media channels that you find inspiring
Any examples of past social media work that you’ve helped execute
How would you help us showcase the 2017 BlackStar Film Festival via social media?
Do you consider media diversity important? How has this impacted you? For example did it encourage you to create your own content (videos, photos, short films, art)? Was there a particular film, filmmaker or artist who’s work made you feel more visible and inspired?
Why would you like to work with BlackStar in particular?
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with BlackStar Film Festival Social Media Intern in the subject line.
The Public Relations Intern will assist with multiple communications projects that include writing press releases, coordinating interviews, and creating press clips for media kits. Length of internship is negotiable, but ideally beginning May 15th through August 30th.
The Public Relations Intern is responsible for assisting the Communications Consultant and Marketing Manager in implementing BlackStar Film Festival’s overall communications strategy and executing local and national media outreach to promote and generate favorable media coverage surrounding programming for the 2017 BlackStar Film Festival. The PR Intern must have excellent grammar skills, a friendly personality and solid knowledge of the festival.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Assist with writing press releases and other press communications
● Organize ticket requests and event invitations for press
● Screen and respond to inquiries for PR materials and interviews
● Assist in identifying and tracking opportunities for print, online, and broadcast media
● Assist in managing filmmaker and talent interview calendar
● Compile and archive press clippings and media mentions
● Update media contacts
● Attend special events and help with talent and filmmaker check-in
● Analyze data and create fact sheets for interested parties (popular e-blasts, magazine features, social media mentions, etc.
● Coordinate press check in during the festival
● Ability to take initiative, show good judgment, and manage projects
● Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
● Ability to manage details and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate accountability
● Work effectively both independently and as part of a team
● Familiarity with local media landscape and publications
● Exemplary research skills
● Comfort with communicating professionally over the phone and email
● Flexibility to work events and screenings outside of regular office hours, as needed.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with BlackStar Film Festival PR Intern in the subject line.