We’re looking for two candidates to join us! If you have a background in communications, a deep interest in media representation and film, and are looking to be involved with an organization that fosters diversity and inclusion, take a look at the job descriptions and send us your application!
This position will work directly with the festival’s Artistic Director. As the program intern you will gain experience in the day-to-day management of an international film festival and grassroots non-profit arts organization. The role consists of providing general support to the Artistic Director and the program committee in organizing screenings, panels, workshops, and related materials, before, during and after the festival.
Assist in notifying all filmmakers of acceptance and soliciting prints and promotional materials
Liaising with panelists and coordinating conference calls
Assisting print traffic manager with assuring festival exhibition copy arrives on time and is returned promptly to the correct address
Assist with writing and organizing program content
An interest in film; visual art; African, Latin American, Caribbean, Pacific Islander, or African American studies; anthropology; or cultural organizing
Problem solver, ability to think quickly, and capable of adapting to new systems
Must be organized, thrive under pressure, and detail-oriented
Proficient in Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Google software and Apple Works preferred
Experience working with event production a plus
Ability to work 15-20 hours per week for a 10-week period over the summer
Expected to attend team meeting one Sunday each month
Must be available for 40+ hours the week of July 30-August 5
Some work from home will be required, so a personal laptop or access to a desktop will be expected
This is a non-paid part-time internship position which does not provide any travel or housing assistance
Credit may be earned if needed
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com with BlackStar Film Festival Program Intern in the subject line. Address qualifications and specific interest in BlackStar. No phone calls please.
Public Relations Intern
The Public Relations Intern will assist with multiple communications projects that include writing press releases, coordinating interviews, and creating press clips for media kits. Length of internship is negotiable, but ideally beginning May 15th through August 30th.
The Public Relations Intern is responsible for assisting the Communications Consultant and Marketing Manager in implementing BlackStar Film Festival’s overall communications strategy and executing local and national media outreach to promote and generate favorable media coverage surrounding programming for the 2017 BlackStar Film Festival. The PR Intern must have excellent grammar skills, a friendly personality and solid knowledge of the festival.
● Assist with writing press releases and other press communications
● Organize ticket requests and event invitations for press
● Screen and respond to inquiries for PR materials and interviews
● Assist in identifying and tracking opportunities for print, online, and broadcast media
● Assist in managing filmmaker and talent interview calendar
● Compile and archive press clippings and media mentions
● Update media contacts
● Attend special events and help with talent and filmmaker check-in
● Analyze data and create fact sheets for interested parties (popular e-blasts, magazine features, social media mentions, etc.
● Coordinate press check in during the festival
● Ability to take initiative, show good judgment, and manage projects
● Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
● Ability to manage details and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate accountability
● Work effectively both independently and as part of a team
● Familiarity with local media landscape and publications
● Exemplary research skills
● Comfort with communicating professionally over the phone and email
● Flexibility to work events and screenings outside of regular office hours, as needed.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with BlackStar Film Festival PR Intern in the subject line.