Going to Mars: The Nikki Giovanni Project
- Audio description in-person & online
- Open captions in-person
Through intimate vérité, archival footage and visually innovative treatments of her poetry, Going to Mars: The Nikki Giovanni Project pushes the boundaries of biographical documentaries by traveling through time and space to reveal the enduring influence of one of America’s greatest living artists and social commentators.
All Access pass holders receive complimentary entry with their pass. Please arrive at the theatre at least 15 minutes before showtime to secure your seat.
Michèle is a platform-agnostic artist who pulls from her Haitian and Panamanian roots to create stories centering the lived experiences of the Black diaspora. She is a Guggenheim fellow and Creative Capital artist. Stephenson lives in Brooklyn with her creative and life partner, Joe Brewster.
Joe is a media-maker who believes in the healing power of stories. Brewster left his medical practice to create immersive, narrative, and documentary stories that provoke, challenge and inspire. He is a Spirit-award and four-time Emmy nominee, jury prize winner at Tribeca and Sundance, and a Guggenheim fellow.
- Year: 2022
- Runtime: 102 minutes
- Country: United States
- Language: English
- Cast: Thomas Giovanni, Virginia Fowler, Kai Giovanni
- Cinematographer: GREG HARRIOTT
- Composer: SAMORA PINDERHUDGES, CHRISTOPHER PATTISHALL
- Director: Joe Brewster, Michèle Stephenson
- Editor: TERRA JEAN LONG, LAWRENCE JACKMAN
- Producer: Joe Brewster, Michèle Stephenson, Tommy Oliver
- Sound Design: FRED HELM
- Premiere: Philadelphia