Grape Soda in the Parking Lot
- Closed captions online
- Trigger warning: Flashing lights
What if every language that had been lost to English — every word, every syllable — grew up out of the ground in flowers? Taqralik Partridge’s grandmother’s Sottish Gaelic and her father’s Inuktitut unfold in memories of her family, of pain, and of love.
Megan Kyak Monteith (Inuk)
Megan is an oil painter and digital illustrator from Nunavut. Cultural observations are made in her paintings which come from childhood memories. A freelance illustrator for books and articles, she continues to paint from her home in Halifax.
Taqralik Partridge (Inuk)
A writer and artist originally from Kuujjuaq, Nunavik, Taqralik is based in Ottawa, where she’s the director of the Nordic Lab at SAW Gallery. An urban Inuk, she speaks to city life in the south with a style grounded in Inuit storytelling.
- Year: 2023
- Runtime: 8 minutes
- Country: Canada
- Language: English
- Director: Megan Kyak Monteith (Inuk) , Taqralik Partridge (Inuk)
- Animator: Megan Kyak-Monteith (Inuk)
- Composer: Inge Thomson
- Producer: Christa Couture (Cree) and Michelle St. John (Wampanoag)
- Screenwriter: Taqralik Partridge (Inuk)
- Premiere: United States