Into The Violet Belly
Interweaving family lore, mythology, science fiction, and digital abstraction, Into The Violet Belly captures the experimental collaboration between the artist and her mother, Thuyen Hoa, who survived a perilous sea journey while fleeing Vietnam after the end of the American War.
Thuy-Han Nguyen-Chi is a Milky Way-based artist whose practice mutates in and out of sculpture, installation, performance, moving image, and interdisciplinary research. Her work explores imaginaries of freedom at the intersection of film-making and film theory, documentary and fiction, personal/prosthetic memory and individual/collective histories. Thuy-Han’s work has been presented in both the art and cinema context, including Belvedere 21, Vienna; Museum für Moderne Kunst, Frankfurt; Villa Medici, Rome; Whitechapel Gallery, London; the 12th Berlin Biennale; the 20th Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival; the 60th New York Film Festival; the 33rd Singapore International Film Festival; among other spaces.
- Year: 2022
- Runtime: 19 minutes
- Country: Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Malta
- Language: Vietnamese, English, German
- Director: Thuy-Han Nguyen-Chi in collaboration with Thuyen Hoa
- Animator: Dalena Tran
- Cinematographer: Hoang-Son Doan
- Composer: Vincent Yuen Ruiz, Franziska Aigner
- Editor: Liyo Gong
- Producer: Thuy-Han Nguyen-Chi, Pam van Delyra
- Screenwriter: Thuy-Han Nguyen-Chi
- Premiere: Philadelphia