Sydney G. James: How We See Us
- Closed captions online
Visual artist/muralist, Sydney G. James, draws inspiration from her hometown of Detroit as she addresses the status of Black women in society, police brutality, family and community through bold brushstrokes and hues that evoke the complexities of Black reality, joy, pain, and resilience.
Juanita Anderson is a filmmaker, photographer, media educator and curator who was born and raised in Detroit. Her creative work examines the lifeways and cultural histories of people of African descent, the role of the arts in society, and responses to social injustice that amplify the voices of communities too seldom seen on screen. She is best known for her role as executive producer of the Favorite Poem Project, and of the 1988 Academy Award-nominated feature film Who Killed Vincent Chin? (a film by Christine Choy and Renee Tajima), which was inducted into the National Film Registry in 2021.
- Year: 2022
- Runtime: 16 minutes
- Country: USA
- Language: English
- Director: Juanita Anderson
- Cinematographer: Demetrio Nasol, Lamar Landers
- Composer: Sterling Toles & Rafael Leafar
- Editor: Nadeem Persico-Shammas & Katy Dresner
- Executive Producer: Michael Kantor, Stanley Nelson, Marcia Smith, Monika Navarro
- Producer: Juanita Anderson
- Premiere: Philadelphia