The Last British Colony in Africa
- Closed captions online
- Trigger warning: Flashing lights
In the 1960’s and 70’s, the U.K. forced the entire Chagossian population off their homeland so the U.S. could build a military base on the island of Diego Garcia. This film sheds a light on the human rights abuses Chagossians have suffered and their ongoing campaign for their right to return to their homeland.
Ellianne Baptiste is an independent producer from Mauritius who recently graduated with a BA in Digital Film Production and has a passion for storytelling. She wrote and produced the short film RELEVE, and produced and edited the music video MAMA by Stephan Bertrand. She enjoys taking on new challenges and experiences.
Sarah Grile started her career as a photojournalist and later pursued an MFA in Integrated Media Arts at Hunter College. She is currently a video producer & editor of multimedia at Human Rights Watch and is based in New York City.
- Year: 2023
- Runtime: 19 minutes
- Country: Mauritius, United Kingdom, South Africa
- Language: English, Creole
- Director: Ellianne Baptiste and Sarah Grile
- Editor: Sarah Grile
- Music: Sega Tambour Chagos, Artlist
- Producer: Ellianne Baptiste, Sarah Grile
- Premiere: North America Festival